Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Home Sweet Home

If home is where the heart is we are both HOME! Brad has been working all week toward getting back today. You would think that in an F-16 it would be pretty fast but in reality it is quite a production. He first went from Afghanistan to one of the "out processing" bases which is about a 3-4 hour flight (F-16 time). There were six jets returning from the squadron in the group Brad was in so they had a couple days wait until all six of them got out of Afghanistan and they could leave for the next stop. They then went on a roughly 10 hour trip to Spain. Brad said it was beautiful there, especially seeing trees after being in the desert so long. The guys spent about a day and a half in Spain and after getting rested up they took off this morning for the last leg of the flight, also about 10 hours, back to South Carolina.

In the meantime I was cleaning like crazy for the past three days. I guess I finally believed Brad would really get in on time and that kicked my nesting into high gear! I wanted Brad to come home to a really nice clean house with fresh towels and fresh sheets, freshly vacuumed floors, and a super clean bathroom. I cleaned and cleaned, the kitchen, the living room, sweeping floors, scrubbing toilets, getting counters wiped down. Unfortunately the nursery still got none of the nesting love. After all that cleaning the time finally came to go get Brad. One of the really great things about the Air Force community is that even though this was a relatively small return of people, there were still so many people who came out to show their support of the guys coming home. There was banners and balloons and lots of food and friends to show support! I showed up at the squadron around 12:30 and the jets were scheduled to arrive around 1:30. I was also lucky to have my great friend Debra (whose husband is in another squadron and currently deployed to Iraq) come and play photographer for me so I could capture this very special homecoming. Around 1:45 we got word they were approaching Shaw. Here is the pictorial summary of the rest of the afternoon.

Once it got closer to landing time we all waited outside the squadron and watched for the jets to arrive. One of the great things about having your husband fly a jet home is that you aren't gonna miss 'em! They always have a way of loudly announcing their arrival!



And here they come! There was a four ship leading with a two ship following close behind. Brad was number 2 in the formation.







They circled around the base and then positioned for landing. Each guy breaks off the formation one at a time and comes in for their landing. Above Brad is breaking off for his landing.





Then they have a long (well it seemed long!) taxi back to where the "parking spots" are in front of their squadron. Everyone got to go out and stand in front of the parking area and the families of each pilot were allowed to stand right in front of where the jet would pull in.












Welcome home Honey! Here is your nice (almost) 36 week profile view for daddy! We have missed you!



And then you just think "Hurry up! Hurry up! Hurry up!!!!!"




and again, "Hurry up! Hurry up! Hurry up!!!!!"





Finally!!!!!!!! Sweet Reunion! Nothing is better!









After unloading, turning gear in, and yes, some customs forms (He was out of the country!) we finally were able to head home!




I had a special sign made to welcome him home. For all of you military spouses out there check out http://www.buildasign.com/. This wonderful website lets you make a free banner to welcome your loved one home from a deployment!

On that LONG flight home from Spain one of the things that Brad said kept the guys going was the thought that when they arrived they would get to have Christmas! I had almost convinced Brad a few weeks ago that I was nesting and went on a cleaning frenzy and opened all his gifts so I could put them away. I had him going for a while, but as you can see I am a good wife and saved each one of them for him to enjoy on his "Christmas Day". He loved all the gifts, Thanks family!!!

We had lots of fun looking though all the baby stuff that has accumulated while he has been away, opening Christmas gifts, and spending time together. After a quick dinner Brad was fast asleep on the couch by 7:00 pm! So I cleaned up Christmas, came to update the blog, and then I am going to go cuddle up to my wonderful husband for the first time since September and go to sleep! What a wonderful day!

8 comments:

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

yea! i'm so glad he's back safe and sound. now he can get to enjoying what it's like living with a pregnant lady again! i'm sure he's loving every minute of it!

The Christians said...

Thanks for sharing! This brought tears to my eyes just reading it! I have no idea how you managed five months apart from each other during your first pregnancy. So, so, soooooo glad for you guys that you are back together in time for your little one's arrival!

Jenny Hipp said...

I CRIED looking at these pictures!!! Tell Brad I'm so proud of him and welcome home!!! I love you guys and am SO excited that you're back together- - just in time for little guy to be here! I can't wait to see you in a couple of months! Enjoy this sweet time together!!!!!! I love you both!

Unknown said...

Welcome Home, Brad! Glad you made it back safely. Great job on the blog, Kimber! We love you guys.

Natalie Hosner said...

Oh my gosh, Kimber, I totally cried reading your blog and looking at Brad's homecoming pictures (and it's not just the hormones, this time anyway)! So glad Brad is home! Tell him "welcome home from the hosners!" Enjoy your time together! Love you guys, Natalie

Ali said...

I am SO glad you are all back together! Your pictures are awesome! I love them all. I hope you can enjoy these last few weeks before sweet baby gets here!! Love you

Erica said...

Thanks for sharing. Welcome home Brad. You will have to print out this blog for the baby. I have to admit I cried through the whole thing also. Love you guys!

Danielle said...

Now that made me cry. It's amazing how seeing pics of your "reunion" can bring back so many emotions for me. You looked so happy and even relieved to have him back in your arms. I love it! So so so happy for you both.